Visit the Sami & reindeer in Jukkasjärvi
December – March
9.00 – 16.00
All hotels in Abisko and Björkliden
This once-in-a-lifetime opportunity allows you to visit Kiruna’s finest open air museum which is dedicated to and run by Swedish Lapland’s local indigenous people – the Sami.
This exciting day trip will give you firsthand access to Sami handicrafts and to top it all off – you will get to experience the amazing lifestyle of the Sámi people and to get up close &personal, inside an authentic corral with Lapland’s most iconic creature – the reindeer.
The open-air museum will teach you all you could ever want to know about Sami culture focusing on how traditional buildings are created, Sami lifestyle and how the Sami people interact with the local environment. You can even purchase a bag of Arctic moss and feed the reindeer which creates the perfect environment of a once in a lifetime photograph with these majestic creatures!
All of this excitement will most certainly make you hungry! This visit includes access to a lovely café which is located inside of a cozy wooden teepee which is owned and operated by the local Sami community. Warm drinks, sandwiches and classic Swedish Fika is available for purchase.
Good to know
- Lunch is not included but can be purchased at Café Sápmi for an additional cost.
- It is important that you wear warm clothes, hats and gloves as well as warm insulated winter boots for your feet.
- Round trip transportation from your hotel in Abisko/Björkliden to Jukkasjärvi outside of Kiruna, where Nutti Sámi Siida is located.
- Entrance ticket to the Nutti Sami Sida open air museum, Café Sápmi & Handicraft shop.
- Time to get up close and personal with the reindeer.
Good to know
We pick you up from any hotel in Abisko or Björkliden.
Pick up information
If you are staying in Abisko, please be ready for pick up at your hotel from 9:15 AM.
If you are staying in Björkliden the pickup time is 9:00 AM.
Departing from Jukkasjärvi 2:00 PM.
All guests returned to their hotels by 4:00 PM.
Have a question?
We are available between 9:00 and 18:00 local time. Feel free to reach us out. We are happy to answer any questions you may have.
+46 (0) 706 52 12 64